Hello Friends!
I have about four or five more posts I plan to write about our field season, but I had to give you the latest news - we are in Christchurch!! It was a very long night. We left McMurdo at 1:00 AM, arrived at the airfield via "
Ivan the Terra Bus" at 2:00 AM, waited at the airfield until 4:00 AM, and our plane finally took off for Christchurch at 4:30 AM.
 |
| Our C-17 lands in McMurdo with passengers and cargo! The cargo has been long-awaited on station; the kitchen is out of fresh fruits and vegetables!! For the Lutes who are following the blog - this C-17 hails from McChord AFB! |
 |
| Passengers disembark to Ivan the Terra Bus and cargo handlers prepare to remove pallets from the back of the plane. |
 |
| Forklift loading pallets of our cargo (mostly passenger luggage) onto our plane. |
 |
This McMurdo-to-Christchurch flight had 107 passengers on it - an unusually large group! After waiting all night, we're very excited to get on the plane!
|
 |
| It's cold on this airfield! |
 |
| Finally boarding! |
 |
107 very tired passengers!
|
 |
Our plane to Christchurch just took off!!!!! Yes, Michael's mustache is ironic.
|
Our flight to Christchurch took 5 hours. We passed through immigration and customs as though we had arrived from any other country. Once through customs, we walked over to the Clothing Distribution Center where we returned all of our Extreme Cold Weather gear. We're now settled into our Bed and Breakfast in Christchurch! Michael and I are meeting in 20 minutes to treat ourselves to a nice meal. Our work here is finally done! It has been a wonderful season!
I'm going to post a more entries tomorrow to catch you up on more of the science, adventure, and mishaps of our season. For now, it's time to celebrate!
Thanks for keeping track of us. It's nice to know there are people out there who can appreciate how far we've come! Less than a week ago, we were waking up to the site of snowfields, ice streams, and mountain ranges! Tonight we'll enjoy our first sunset since November 28th!
More from us tomorrow. Hope all is well,
Hooray!!!! Wow, a sunset--I bet it was AMAZING!
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeletemy nake is Tom Mazzuca & I am a PLU student & I am also in the Reserves at McChord AFB. I was one of the aircrew that flew you guys off of the ice in January. Small world !!!