Who we are and what we're doing!


Welcome to our project site!
We are six National Science Foundation-funded researchers from Pacific Lutheran University, Berkeley Geochronology Center, University of Washington, and the University of Maine who are studying the glacial history of the Pensacola Mountains in West Antarctica.

Our 2011-2012 field season is almost underway! We will spend about two weeks in McMurdo equipping ourselves for another month in the Pensacola Mountains. We spent December 16th, 2010 through January 17th, 2011 in the Pensacola Mountains, where we mapped and sampled glacial deposits along the Foundation Ice Stream. This year, we will revisit last year's field sites, and map new regions of the mountain range.

Our work will track the thinning history of the Weddell Sea Sector of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, and will also provide insights into ice sheet dynamics, and the history of sea level contribution from this sector of the ice sheet.

In the coming weeks and months, we will use this site to show you our preparations for the 2011-2012 field season, and to share our initial results as they emerge. Please check back to catch up with our progress. Thanks for finding us!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

We're back! Blog post for December 16th - Camp Put-in!

Hello Friends!

WE ARE BACK!!!! After a long day, we returned to McMurdo Station late last night, and very, very happily enjoyed our first showers in over a month and a night's sleep in a bed! We're still feeling pretty exhausted from it all. We have so many stories to tell!!

We are scheduled to leave McMurdo on a very early AM flight on Saturday, January 22nd; it is my plan to blog twice each day for the rest of the week so that I can summarize our successful season for you! After that, I'm going on vacation!

I'll start from the beginning of our trip. At the time of the last blog post, we were preparing for our C-130 put-in to Camp Neptune, where a science team was located in the 1960s (see the map in an earlier post!). Our flight to Neptune took off on-time at about 9:00 AM:

Michael and I on our C-130 flight. I am very excited that our adventure is beginning. Michael is sleeping! I have a virtually identical picture from the flight back to McMurdo.

In addition to Michael, we had some other strange cargo. A remote refueling unit, and our jet-assisted take-off (JATO) units!
The following pictures illustrate our combat offload procedure. I felt sheepish taking these pictures, but then I turned around and half of the crew had video cameras out! They call our type of camp put-in an "open field landing," which indicates that there is no groomed runway for the C-130. Apparently the New York Air National Guard doesn't get many requests for these anymore!
Once the plane landed on the snow, the tail of the plane opened up behind our cargo. 
The loadmaster releases the cargo pallets which then roll out of the back of the plane, as the plane continues to taxi through the snow. 
Once the ramp is clear...
the passengers disembark. I think he is waiting for me! To help recreate the mood for you, you should know that it is deafeningly loud inside and outside of the plane. 
Heading toward our cargo and our new home!
Once you're outside of the plane, you're fighting "prop wash" which is a fuel-, soot-, snow-laden wind that smells terrible and stings your eyes and face.

We're all poised to capture the dramatic take-off!
We're still waiting. The plane is revving its engines!
We're still waiting! The plane is still revving its engines.
Hmmm... the plane has now stopped revving its engines, and the door behind the wing has opened.
Even a C-130 has to rely on shovels when it's stuck. Good thing we had some extras for them!
After a little help, 
and some discussion...
the plane finally took off. We could see the pilot pumping his fist in triumph through the cockpit windows. 
Pictures taken, we got to work setting up our camp!



Kat and I were very cozy our first night in our new home!
I'm afraid I'm dozing off as I write this. More to come tomorrow! My next entries will include our snowmobile traverse to our first field site, and a summary of our work there!

It is wonderful to be back in touch! We're excited to share our adventure.

Claire

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home! Is Michael sleeping or ignoring you in that first picture?

    ReplyDelete