Who we are and what we're doing!


Welcome to our project site!
We are six National Science Foundation-funded researchers from Pacific Lutheran University, Berkeley Geochronology Center, University of Washington, and the University of Maine who are studying the glacial history of the Pensacola Mountains in West Antarctica.

Our 2011-2012 field season is almost underway! We will spend about two weeks in McMurdo equipping ourselves for another month in the Pensacola Mountains. We spent December 16th, 2010 through January 17th, 2011 in the Pensacola Mountains, where we mapped and sampled glacial deposits along the Foundation Ice Stream. This year, we will revisit last year's field sites, and map new regions of the mountain range.

Our work will track the thinning history of the Weddell Sea Sector of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, and will also provide insights into ice sheet dynamics, and the history of sea level contribution from this sector of the ice sheet.

In the coming weeks and months, we will use this site to show you our preparations for the 2011-2012 field season, and to share our initial results as they emerge. Please check back to catch up with our progress. Thanks for finding us!

Friday, January 6, 2012

Team Member Profile: Claire Todd

Hi Friends,


This post was scheduled before we left McMurdo. We do not have internet access in our field camp!


The past four blog posts have featured some of my teammates' responses to the following questions; I feel obligated to answer them as well! Thanks for checking in with us! By the time you're reading this, we will have less than two weeks left in our field season!


What will your focus be while you're in the field?


My efforts will be two-fold. First, I am responsible for the safety and education of my undergraduate student. Matt and I have collaborated on Mount Rainier for two consecutive summers; I know we will have a productive and enjoyable field season in the Pensacola Mountains! Second, I will work with Matt and Greg to map and characterize the glacial geologic deposits exposed in the Thomas Hills. Each morning, we will climb away from the ice surface to identify and describe evidence of thicker ice. This evidence includes striations, or scratches that flowing ice leaves in rock surfaces, glacially-smoothed rocks and bedrock, and cobbles that are a different type of rock than the bedrock on which they rest. As we are mapping evidence of past glaciations, we will also collect rock samples for surface-exposure dating. This technique that allows us to determine how much time has passed since thinning ice exposed rocks deposited above the current ice surface.
Glacial striations!
A teammate joking around on a beautiful glacially-transported cobble.
A highly technical field method known as the rock throw.
Throughout this process, I will work hard to equip Matt with experience and skills necessary to produce independently a glacial geologic map and to collect samples for surface exposure dating. 


What is your favorite aspect of being in the field?


It is great fun to share a scientific field work experience with a student - especially in Antarctica! There is no better place to teach and to learn than in the field. I also enjoy the camaraderie within our field camp. Together, we will share many laughs, play practical jokes, work through difficult challenges, and enjoy ourselves thoroughly. I love the 24-hour daylight, our camp, setting up a new home in my Scott tent, and the scenery. Living and working in the Antarctic landscape is positively exhilarating. I also love thinking about, cooking, eating, thinking about, planning, eating, thinking about and sharing meals. I love mealtime!!!!
Photo courtesy of Chris Simmons!
Photo courtesy of Chris Simmons!
Photo courtesy of Chris Simmons!
Photo courtesy of Chris Simmons!
Photo courtesy of Chris Simmons!
What is your favorite camp meal?
I thought I'd never ask!! This question is the most difficult for me. Probably breakfast? or maybe dinner? Hard to say. Lunch is good too.


What will you miss the most?
Not a day goes by that I don't think about my husband, family and friends. I happen to know that this is the fifth consecutive day that you've read this answer, but it's true. We all miss the people we love. Believe it or not, I also miss Seattle winters, being in my office, carpooling, and a table and chairs. You will believe that I miss wearing less than 4 layers of clothes and running water. We do pretty well without the running water, though.


As hard as I tried, Greg was not enthusiastic about answering the questions. Less than two weeks until we will be in touch again! I am really looking forward to sharing the Thomas Hills field season with you then. Many thanks for checking in with us,


Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment