Hi Friends,
This post was scheduled before we left McMurdo. We do not have internet access in our field camp!
Our last week in McMurdo, I asked my teammates to respond to a few questions about their fieldwork and camp life. Here are Seth's responses! Check out our archives and future posts for entries from our other team members!
What will your focus be while you're out in the field?
This post was scheduled before we left McMurdo. We do not have internet access in our field camp!
Our last week in McMurdo, I asked my teammates to respond to a few questions about their fieldwork and camp life. Here are Seth's responses! Check out our archives and future posts for entries from our other team members!
What will your focus be while you're out in the field?
My goal for this project is to collect ice penetrating radar data. We use this data to:
- Measure glacier ice depths at each study location, and
- Determine the amount of ice deformation that has occurred at each study site.
In the 2010-2011 field season for this project, we collected 122 km of ice penetrating radar data using equipment owned and on loan from Dartmouth College (courtesy of Dr. Bob Hawley) and the Army Corp of Engineers Cold Regions Research and Engineering Lab (courtesy of Dr. Steven Arcone). We plan to collect a similar amount of data during this (2011-2012) field season. The complete system includes an antenna transmitter that sends electromagnetic (EM) pulses through the ice and an antenna receiver that receives the reflection of each EM pulse from layers in the ice and bedrock under the ice. The antenna is connected by cable to a computer which records data about each EM pulse sent and received by the transmitter-receiver combination.
![]() |
| Diagram of EM pulses sent from the transmitter and being reflected off internal layers in ice. The reflections are recorded by the receiver and computer for future study (Figure: Seth Campbell). |
SIMPLE INTERNAL DEFORMATION - Not a lot of internal layering:
COMPLEX INTERNAL LAYERING - LOTS of deformation!
![]() |
| Example of a computer generated ice depth model using radar data collected in a grid pattern over a valley glacier in Alaska (Figure: Seth Campbell). |
What is your favorite part about being in the field?
Hmmmm… tough question! I love being in remote glacial and mountainous areas. We found a note on top of one of the mountains we hiked from previous visitors in the year 1962 (I think)! This isn’t to say that no-one has been to this site since 1962… BUT very few people get to go to these places and I think it’s a pretty special opportunity to visit such a remote and spectacular place. Besides that… on these trips you really get to know your coworkers well because of the small team and close living conditions. I’ve figured out that often times your ‘co-workers” end up being some of your best friends through the years. We have an AWESOMELY fun team.
What is your favorite camp meal?
Do no-bake cookies that Kat makes, count? I can certainly make a meal out of them! And of course hot apple cider drink mix… for an actual meal I think the Cornish game hen was pretty awesome last year!
What do you miss the most while you're out there?
Of course I miss my wife, Kristin, the most, especially during the holidays! (I hope she reads this!) I also obviously miss my family and friends very much. Outside of that, I miss ice cream!





No comments:
Post a Comment