Hi Friends!
A quick update from McMurdo: we were due to fly out this morning, but our flight has been delayed due to weather. Kat and I awoke early to finish a few pre-departure tasks. On a flight day, the first task is always to check the McMurdo Intranet for updates to the flight schedule. Here is what I found this morning:
Flights are still taking off here, so we guess that the delay is due to weather at our landing site. We are packed, ready and still in high spirits. Last night, it started snowing in McMurdo. Kat, Matt and I enjoyed the change in the weather:
I promise to keep you posted! I'm going to spend the day crafting lots of blog posts for you to enjoy in the coming weeks.
More from us soon,
Claire
Who we are and what we're doing!
Our 2011-2012 field season is almost underway! We will spend about two weeks in McMurdo equipping ourselves for another month in the Pensacola Mountains. We spent December 16th, 2010 through January 17th, 2011 in the Pensacola Mountains, where we mapped and sampled glacial deposits along the Foundation Ice Stream. This year, we will revisit last year's field sites, and map new regions of the mountain range.
Our work will track the thinning history of the Weddell Sea Sector of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, and will also provide insights into ice sheet dynamics, and the history of sea level contribution from this sector of the ice sheet.
In the coming weeks and months, we will use this site to show you our preparations for the 2011-2012 field season, and to share our initial results as they emerge. Please check back to catch up with our progress. Thanks for finding us!
No comments:
Post a Comment